Tuesday, September 27, 2005

Hold On To Your Hats

Chief Meteorologist Craig Carnesi here...

Echoing Brandon's sentiments below, relief is on the way. Mother Nature is going to make sure you know it too. First we will have to deal with one more afternoon in the mid to upper 90s.

A tight pressure gradient ahead and behind the cold front is going to be responsible for winds sustained anywhere between 15-25 miles per hour starting as early as Thursday evening from Knox County down to Scurry County. Wind gusts could run up to 40-45 miles per hour at times.

As Brandon mentioned, there will be a slight chance of an isolated shower or thunderstorm. The only problem this time around is that we just haven't gotten a whole lot of moisture back in the lower and middle layers of the atmosphere. That could change later in the week.

My main forecast concern right now will deal with afternoon high temperatures. Models generally have a hard time dealing with these early season cold fronts and try to warm us up a little too quickly after a front passes. Right now it looks like temperature will be back into the lower to middle 80s by Friday. But, I would not be surprised to see at least one more day of 70s for highs on Friday.

That change I mentioned later in the week is an upper level disturbance that looks like might make it to the Big Country by Saturday and Sunday. If we have enough moisture by then, we may see a better chance of being able to squeeze out a few showers and thunderstorms.

For now, hot weather lovers, enjoy your last day of 90-degree heat for awhile Wednesday... Fall weather lovers, hold on one more day, the front is coming!

Craig...

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I Love Weather, I Think it is Fascinating.

Hi,

Since the cold weather is on the way, I have a question about how snow is measured. Since it is in a different form of precipatation how is it calculated into inches?

By the way, I was born and raised in New Orleans La. in 1961. I went through Hurricane Betsy, and Camile. We lived in New Orleans East, needless to say, my childhood home which my Father still lived in before Katrina, is now destroyed.

I moved here in 2003, and saw my first tornado upclose and personal when that line of storms came through I believe in 2004. That was horribly Awesome to me and brought back memories of my childhood during the hurricanes (I personally call hurricanes Horriblecanes) and consider them Giant Tornados. For the storm in 2004 we took shelter in a large protected building.

If you could answer the question about snow measurments please respond here too, in case I don't have the opportunity to see it on TV. I like snow storms much better than all the other kinds of storms. Of course, I have never been in a blizzard (besides the snowcone blizzards which were common place in New Orleans to escape the heat) so I am not sure about that either. (-=

Thanks A Bunch,

Eileen

Blog Archive