Thursday, February 28, 2008

Elevated Fire Danger Across West Central Texas:

From KRBC Meteorologist Chris Whited...

The National Weather Service in San Angelo, Midland, Fort Worth and Norman have placed all of the KRBC viewing area under a Red Flag Warning for today as we are set up for another dry and windy day across the Big Country, Heartland and the Northern Concho Valley. There is also a Lake Wind Advisory in effect for the area waterways across West Central Texas.

A weak front will move into the area late tonight only bringing a few clouds and will cool temperatures down only a few degrees into the upper 60s and lower 70s on Friday. Warmer weather will be back in place over the weekend ahead of the next front which will move in late Sunday and early Monday. Forecast models are bringing rain chances with the front. Looks like the best rain chances will be across the Eastern Big Country and the Heartland.

Next week we will see a taste of cooler air working into the area however the fire threat will probably increase again as we dry out from what rain we may see Sunday and Monday. Looking down the road, the extended periods of the model runs keep our area relatively dry and warm. I don't see any good rain chances beyond the 7 day forecast period.

Finally, you may notice I am the new face on West Texas Today and with KRBC News. A little about me... I'm from Oneonta, Alabama and received my degree from Mississippi State University. I actually started my career just down the road at our sister station KLST where I was the weekend meteorologist and a news reporter from 2004 to late 2006. Some of you in the Northern Concho Valley may remember me from my days in San Angelo. In addition to working in San Angelo, I have also worked as the morning meteorlogist (my last job before joining KRBC) at WTOK-TV in Meridian, Mississippi. I'm excited to be back in West Texas and forecasting weather for KRBC. Feel free to drop me a line anytime at cwhited@krbc.tv if you have a question about something or want to know a little more about me.

Enjoy your Thursday

No comments:

Blog Archive