Thursday, February 02, 2006

Thursday Afternoon Discussion

From Chief Meteorologist Craig Carnesi...

It really is getting difficult to argue with this absolutely beautiful weather we are having. But, we really are in dire need of some nasty, dreary rainy days. Unfortunately it just doesn't look likely in the near future.

First though, today is a big day in a meteorologist's year, Groundhog today. This morning at Gobbler's Knob, Punxsutawney Phil, the prognosticator of prognosticators came out of his home and saw his shadow. From www.groundhog.org, here is what Phil had to say at sunrise this morning:

"It is said that imitation is the sincerest form of flattery. Around the country there are many imitators of me.

In Harrisburg there is Gus who appears on TV working for the lottery.

Then all around town, Cute groundhog statues abound. They all look like me, I found.

Today on the Knob as I'm doing my job, I don't like this likeness of me.

It's my shadow I see. Six more weeks of mild winter there will be."

The thing here is, the season of Winter does continue for another six weeks anyhow, but oh what fun Phil is.

As for us, we are still waiting for Winter to even get started. We will be seeing more seasonal weather though as a series of cold fronts arrive in West Texas starting Friday.

Quickly though Sunday winds will return to the South with the potential of a fire weather danger day. So, I know, I'm the bad guy here, please hold off on any outdoor bar-be-cueing on Super Bowl Sunday. Please cook the meat indoors this year as the ground will remain dry, and the area will remain a tinderbox this weekend.

Cooler weather will return Monday with afternoon highs in the upper 50s.

Some colder air could be impacting the area next weekend, but we will have to wait and see how things evolve.

No comments:

Blog Archive